The Nordic Ski Club of Saskatoon was established in 1968 when the Saskatoon Ski Club (established in 1928) split into Nordic and Alpine disciplines. When established, the club boasted approximately 30 to 40 members, and focused on both traditional aspects of Nordic Skiing: cross country skiing, and ski jumping. A focal point for cross country skiing and ski jumping in the late 1960s to early 1970s was on lands owned by the City of Saskatoon on the edge of the South Saskatchewan River just north of the University of Saskatchewan. At this site (the Varsity site) the club maintained and operated a cabin and ski jump (the John-Ingvald jump). Cross country ski trails at that time extended from the Varsity site through Sutherland Beach to the Forestry Farm, and also south towards the Broadway Bridge. In 1976, due to vandalism and a decline in skiing activity, the Club took down the cabin. The ski jump was last used in 1974, and was removed by the City of Saskatoon in 1978. A remnant remains on the Meewasin Trail behind the University of Saskatchewan and is referenced in the posted trail information.
In the early to late 1970s, there was a flurry of activity that shaped the current state of the Club. An increased interest in cross country skiing in Saskatoon resulted in more members and the initiation of cross country ski lessons, and cross country ski touring programs. In 1973, a monthly newsletter, the Kivilski, was introduced. Also in 1973, the Nordic Ski Club built a tracksetter and began to provide groomed cross country ski trails in Kinsmen Park, Cosmopolitan Park, Holiday Park Golf Course, and the Forestry Farm.
In 1975, the Club constructed a ski trail at Beaver Creek, which was heavily used by Club members and the public until permission for its use was withdrawn in 1975. In 1977, the Nordic Ski Club was granted permission to cut a trail in the Nisbet Provincial Forest. These trails are now called Eb’s Trails because they were first explored and marked by Eb Fass of Saskatoon.
In 2011, the Club officially changed its name to the Saskatoon Nordic Ski Club. The decision to retain the reference to Nordic skiing despite the lack of ski jumping facilities in Saskatoon is due to the long history of our club.
For more information on the early history of cross country skiing in Saskatoon please consult the following publication, available in print from the Saskatoon Nordic Ski Club:
54 Years of Sliding and Striding: A Capsule History of Skiing in Saskatoon 1928 - 1982.
Governing documents for the Saskatoon Nordic Ski Club are the club bylaws, and the Non Profit Corporations Act of Saskatchewan. The club bylaws were updated in 2012, and adopted formally by the club membership on October 11, 2012 and updated again by membership in Oct 2016. The new bylaws are now effective.
Saskatoon Nordic Ski Club Bylaws, Oct 2012, Updated Oct 2016-PDF
The Saskatoon Nordic Ski Club Executive is elected annually by the membership and meets approximately four times per year from September to April. Each executive term is elected for a period of one year. Members of the executive act as spokespeople for club members during regular executive meetings, and are responsible to ensure that the club acts in accordance with the bylaws and the requirements of the Non-Profit Corporations Act.
Program and/or committee chairs may be appointed by the executive to lead programs or committees. Program and committee chairs play a critical role in ensuring that the SNSC continues to run its successful programming and trail grooming activities.
Meeting minutes from each executive meeting are available to all club members, and where possible are posted on the website for all club members to view electronically.
Please email us if you are interested in helping with leadership or administration of the Saskatoon Nordic Ski Club, and contributing to the future of cross country skiing in Saskatoon.
2019-20 Saskatoon Nordic Ski Club Executive